How does one install kernel*.src.rpm ?

akonstam at trinity.edu akonstam at trinity.edu
Mon Oct 24 21:19:16 UTC 2005

On Mon, Oct 24, 2005 at 07:17:02AM -0700, Kenneth Porter wrote:
> --On Monday, October 24, 2005 8:08 AM -0500 akonstam at trinity.edu wrote:
>
> >I  agree with that but why exactly do you want to procedd a source rpm
> >to get a source rpm. Are  you assumeing a change in the spec file along
> >the way.
>
> It's more an issue of file management. Say I download the FC4 kernel SRPM.
> I want to know where I got it from, so I put it in a directory that
> identifies the source, eg. download/Fedora/4/updates. Files in SRPMS are
> ones I created through rpmbuild, as opposed to ones I downloaded.
>
> I grab source RPM's either because I want to rebuild them tuned to what I
> have on my system (via the embedded invocation of configure in the spec
> file) or because I want to customize the build by editing the spec file.
> For instance, I might want a custom kernel with a different config or an
> additional patch.
>
> I also grab source RPM's to debug problems, by unpacking and "prep'ing"
> (via "rpmbuild -bp") the sources and then grepping the sources for the
> error message I'm getting. I can then inspect the program logic to see why
> I'm getting that error message.
I understand your approach but that is not what the original poster
wanted to do. He just wanted to process a source rpm. the -ba option
is not what he needs.

The [Ford Foundation] is a large body of money completely surrounded by
people who want some.
		-- Dwight MacDonald
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science