Unstable Fedora Installation

Bruce Feist bfeist at speakeasy.net
Mon Oct 24 21:49:12 UTC 2005

Edward Dekkers wrote:

> Bruce Feist wrote:
>
>> I've installed the AMD 64-bit version of Fedora, 2.6.13, on a new
>> computer with 1 gig of RAM, one PCI-connected IDE drive, and three
>> SATA disks.  My most recent experience with Linux was RH 8.1 or so.
>> Bad things are happening...
>

> Highly likely hardware problems. A complete hardware lock (requiring a
> reset) is very unlikely software related.
>
> Do a full (14+ hours-all tests selected) memtest on the thing.

My apologies for a newbieish question, but what's memtest?  (Obviously
some kind of memory test, but I don't see a package for it, and man -k
doesn't turn anything up on it).  Google turned up memtest86 -- is that
what you refer to?  (I'm assuming so, and am about to create a boot disk
of it.)

Bruce