setting IP address manually

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Tue Oct 25 06:06:57 UTC 2005

On Mon, Oct 24, 2005 at 23:27:55 -0500,
  Mike McGrath <mmcgrath at iesabroad.org> wrote:

> [...]

I wasn't advocating using the same IP address on different hosts. The IP
address of an interface is the default IP address to use for the source address
for outgoing packets on that interface. Having the same IP address on different
interfaces of the same host isn't itself a problem. (Though this might result
in inefficient return paths being used in some situations.) Which interface
packets are sent to is determined by the destination IP address and your
routing tables.