nvidia or ati ?

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Tue Oct 25 14:41:26 UTC 2005

Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 23, 2005 at 17:29:23 +0100,
>   Richard Gelling <uselinux34 at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 2005-10-23 at 11:09 -0500, Bruno Wolff III wrote:

>>>If you were think of getting a less expensive card, the ATI 9200 will work
>>>with free drivers. There is a project to have free drivers for later ATI
>>>cards, but you should go looking for the current status of that project
>>>to make sure it is far enough along for you before committing to using a
>>>ATI model.
>>>

>>I have found the Nvidia 3D drivers easier to install
>

> The free ATI drivers come as part of the xorg package. You don't have to do
> anything to install them.

Does the xorg driver provide 3d in the newest ATI cards?

I went through video card hell on a new computer with ATI trying to
use the ATI binary drivers as well.  Never did see 3d on the card.

Installed FC4 on two computers (desktop and laptop) a few weeks ago.
Worked out of the box.

Installed the nVidia binaries from livna and all is great.  Of course
I could tweak some and maybe get things better but that takes time
which is harder to find.

I dumped ATI for nVidia.  A friend of mine just did the same in the
Windows world.

I won't even consider ATI any more.

--
Robin Laing
Instrumentation Technologist   Voice: 1.403.544.4762