OT? - FC3 hw upgrade issue?

Ingemar Nilsson init at pdc.kth.se
Tue Oct 25 16:39:12 UTC 2005

Dave Stevens <geek at uniserve.com> writes:

> I recently upgraded my FC3 box motherboard to an Asus A7V400-MX. The new cpu
> is an AMD 2500 rated at 1.83GHz. The switches on the motherboard need to be
> set to match the cpu, but I can't find the right settings. Using the fastest
> combination shown in the manual gives 1400 MHz on the boot POST screen. Can
> anyone help with this? I've emailed ASUS and have no reply. Or perhaps if
> someone can point me to a better list?

I don't know if this helps, but I built a computer last year with an Epox
8K9A7i motherboard (VIA KT400A chipset). When I booted it for the first
time, both the CPU and the memory clocked much lower than their rating. I
noticed that there were two default settings alternatives in the BIOS, one
called "Factory Default Settings" and one called "Optimized Default
Settings". When I loaded the second alternative, both the CPU and the
memory were clocked according to their rating. Factory default were
obviously much lower clock speeds than rated.

Regards
Ingemar