how to react on ssh attacks?

Joel Jaeggli joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu
Tue Oct 25 17:08:00 UTC 2005

On Tue, 25 Oct 2005, Michael A. Peters wrote:

> On Mon, 2005-10-24 at 20:53 -0700, Joel Jaeggli wrote:
>> On Tue, 25 Oct 2005, Danny Terweij - Net Tuning | Net wrote:
>>
>>> From: "Michael A. Peters" <mpeters at mac.com>

>> Ask yourself why is is not safe to ssh to root?
>
> It's a known user ID on a system, and an incredibly powerful one.
> No one will have root access that doesn't have a regular user account as
> well, therefore, forcing remote root users to first log in as their
> regular user and then su to root prevents a known username that happens
> to be all powerful from being bute-forced.

no-one is brute-forcing my ssh dsa private key. by that measure alone,
allowing ssh isn't unsafe at all. if you want to require it for root, set:

  PermitRootLogin without-password

no password attacks against root will ever work again.

> Furthermore, if you ssh in as root - there is no accountability.

Sure there is. That depends on what logging you choose to do and where.

We do process accounting, and centralized syslogging so our syslog hosts
have a pretty good audit-trail for what goes on on our hosts.

> If you ssh in as a user and then su to root, that action is recorded in
> the log files - and you know who logged into root and when.

And you log which key was used to know as well. If

Joel Jaeggli  	       Unix Consulting 	       joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu