nvidia or ati ?

Guy Fraser guy at incentre.net
Tue Oct 25 17:41:53 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-25-10 at 18:33 +0200, Mogens Kjaer wrote:
> Igor Jagec wrote:
> > I would advice you to get the nvidia-glx-1.0.7676-0.lvn.2.4.src.rpm
> > package and recompile it when the new kernel package is released.
>
> Yes, but this is not done automatically.
>
> So if the machine is rebooted after the new
> kernel is installed, but before the nvidia driver
> is recompiled, the machine starts up without
> graphics.
>
> This has annoyed quite a few people here... :-)
>
> Mogens

When I was using the binary driver, I had a script that I kept
in /root/bin to build, install the driver and add it to initrd.
If I forgot to update it before I booted a new kernel it was
easy to log in as root, run the script and reboot. Unfortunately
I am not using that script anymore and am not sure if I still
have a copy of it anywhere.

Here is a hint on making it work easily in BASH scripts :

KERNVER = `uname -r`

I am currently using an ATI card in that machine but only
so that I can convert some .vcr files to mpeg2 in windows.

Have a good day.