bash trick - prefixing a command?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 18:25:13 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-10-25 at 12:17, Dr. Michael J. Chudobiak wrote:

> >> I want to do some shell trickery so that when a user enters a command like:
> >>
> >> ls -l
> >>
> >> the command is forwarded to another program as an argument. That is,
> >> what actually gets executed is:
> >>
> >> myprog "ls -l"
> >>
> > I think what yo want to do would be a command alias.  Generally, these are
> > setup in either the /etc/profile or in the individual users .bash_profile
>

> No, I don't think an alias would work - the argument isn't known ahead
> of time, so you can't define an alias.

There are a finite number of commands that can be found by
searching your $PATH.  Alias them all...  Or adjust the $PATH
so that a directory containing all the possible program names
symlinked to your program comes first.  The program can look
at the command line you entered to decide what to do next.
Of course these won't work if the user types the full
path to the command.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com