nfs and telnet problems

akonstam at trinity.edu akonstam at trinity.edu
Tue Oct 25 21:29:55 UTC 2005

On Tue, Oct 25, 2005 at 06:24:57PM +0100, Adel Essafi wrote:
> hi lists
> I have installed an FC4 server. I have confgured it as nis and NFS
> servers. I have proceeded exactly like documentation said and I got
> theses probles
> (note that ping and ssh works well)
> 1- telnet don t work
As someone else pointed out telnet may not be installed or not
configured to work. In /etc/xinetd.d/telnet disabled must be no.
> 2. nfs don t show the partitions to export (exportfs -a  returns nothing)
exportfs -a causes the exports to occur. exportfs alone displays
exports.
> 3. (not important at this point) nis clients can t find the server.
Is this a dns problem ? Is /etc/yp.conf properly configured with
something like:
domain <domain name> server <server-name>?
Has domainname been set in your /etc/sysconfig/network or somewhere
else?
Is ypbind running?

What tells you the server can't be found?  When you say ssh works does
that mean that you can ssh to server from a client? But I assume you
can't login to a client using ssh, True?