how to react on ssh attacks? [solved]

Brian Gaynor briang at pmccorp.com
Tue Oct 25 23:01:06 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-10-25 at 14:08 -0400, Neal Becker wrote:
> Eventually hosts.deny is getting too big.  If this is really fedora's
> answer, then I think we'll need a version of tcpwrappers that has some kind
> of database, rather than a flat file.

I agree, although by layering iptables blocking with denyhosts I am able
to greatly reduce the number of hosts.deny entries. Like many people on
this list, I have a set of rules in iptables that look for too many ssh
logins in too short a time period. If the threshold is exceeded
connections from the offending IP are dropped for a time. Most script
kiddies hit the block and just go away. Some script kiddies, however,
come back later. For them I have denyhosts running at a threshold one
above the iptables script. I typically see denyhosts trigger only once
or twice a day for these more serious threats.

--
Brian Gaynor
www.pmccorp.com