nvidia or ati ?

Bikehead bikehead at amberpoint.com
Tue Oct 25 23:49:53 UTC 2005

Mogens Kjaer wrote:

> Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
>
>> This should not happen -- the livna package should disable the nvidia
>> driver and switch to nv when the kernel-module for the new kernel is
>> missing. If not file a bug.
>

> This :-( :-( "feature" made me dump the livna way a long time ago.
>
> Not only do you have to get the kernel module installed, you
> also have to set up X again to use the nvidia driver.
>
> Now if only some cleaver rpm dependencies could be set
> up so that the kernel isn't updated until a new livna
> nvidia rpm is available - that would be useful!
>
> Mogens

Actually, the new nvidia and ati rpms out of livna, will fall back to
the standard drivers if the proprietary kernel modules couldn't be
loaded.  This allows one to upgrade the kernel without losing X even if
the proprietary modules aren't built yet.  There are also command line
utilities to turn off the proprietary drivers on next boot, which is
usefull if you have a laptop since neither ati nor nvidia proprietary
drivers support suspend while the open source drivers both do.

--
.   __o    Brian "la lumaca"
  _`\<,_