question re list

kwhiskers kwhiskers at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 01:56:33 UTC 2005

On 25/10/05, Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 2005-10-25 at 15:09 -0600, kwhiskers wrote:
> > How does one get a question answered on this list?
> >
> > I have posted my question, including all the relevant details, twice
> > and have not received one response.
> >
> ----
> Since you asked...

> Craig
>

> --
> believed to be clean.
>
> --

I have glanced at the article. Perhaps you think my question is not
technical enough or off topic? Or that I haven't tried hard enough to find
the solution myself?

Well, I have scoured the documentation on hotplug, automount, udev, autofs
(though I prefer not to use this method. It's not used for automountng cds,
so there must be another way), etc etc.

I have scoured dozens and dozens of pages on google. They are all pointing
to the same ideas I have had, but no solutions are posted, or when there are
any, they are complicated patchwork scripts that one should trustingly run
on one's system. No thanks.

Then the solutions are all ancient, dating from 2000-early 2004, pre-Fedora
3, in any cae, which would lead one to suspect that this problem has long
since been solved in the newer distributions.

I have looked into supermount, pmount, usbmount, kde volume manager, all of
which are either old software no longer being maintained, for debian but
never released for other distros (leading one to suspect they are not
required there), etc etc.

I have spent at last 3 days on this working from afternoon into the night. I
have run every permutation and combination of fstab, udev rules and whatever
I could think of, rebooting, mounting and umounting, all to no avail.

Finally, I rewrote the subject line, in the hope that the problem might
pique more interest if phrased differently.

So, what is the 'smart way' to ask?