scsi mass storage problem - followup

kwhiskers kwhiskers at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 02:21:14 UTC 2005

On 25/10/05, Andrew Couture <relicsrage at gmail.com> wrote:

> First off, what version of FC are you using?,
>
> do you have gphoto or gphoto2 installed?
>
> do you have gThumb installed?
>
> You can mount the thing manually, your almost there...
>

> kwhiskers wrote:
> > Problem: I would like to have my camera be mounted automatically when I
> > plug it into its usb cable.
> > NB: Although it is plugged into the usb, it is seen as a scsi device.
> >
> > I have a line in fstab:
> > /dev/sda1 /media/usbdisk auto pamconsole,exec,noauto,managed 0 0
> >
> > I have made a dimage.rules file for udev:
> > BUS="scsi", SYSFS{model}="DiMAGE F100", KERNEL="sd?1", SYMLINK="camera"
> >
> > I got some of this information by entering the command:
> > udevinfo -a -p 'udevinfo -q path -n /dev/sda1'
> >
> > This is the output I get:
> >
> > device '/sys/block/sda/sda1' has major:minor 8:1
> > looking at class device '/sys/block/sda/sda1':
> > SUBSYSTEM=="block"
> > SYSFS{dev}=="8:1"
> > SYSFS{size}=="493979"
> > SYSFS{start}=="101"
> > SYSFS{stat}==" 163 163 0 0"
> >
> > follow the "device"-link to the physical device:
> > looking at the device chain at '/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000
> > :00:1f.2/usb1/1-2/1-2:1.0/host2/target2:0:0/2:0:0:0':
> > BUS=="scsi"
> > ID=="2:0:0:0"
> > DRIVER=="sd"
> > SYSFS{device_blocked}=="0"
> > SYSFS{iocounterbits}=="32"
> > SYSFS{iodone_cnt}=="0x2b"
> > SYSFS{ioerr_cnt}=="0x0"
> > SYSFS{iorequest_cnt}=="0x2b"
> > SYSFS{max_sectors}=="240"
> > SYSFS{model}=="DiMAGE F100 "
> > SYSFS{queue_depth}=="1"
> > SYSFS{queue_type}=="none"
> > SYSFS{rev}=="1.00"
> > SYSFS{scsi_level}=="3"
> > SYSFS{state}=="running"
> > SYSFS{timeout}=="30"
> > SYSFS{type}=="0"
> > SYSFS{vendor}=="MINOLTA "
> >
> > couldn't open device directory
> >
> > Perhaps of note is the fact that the number on the line SYSFS{stat} is
> > not the same every time
> > Also, the note at the end of the output for this command: "couldn't open
> > device directory"
> > Is that normal? Why couldn't directory be opened? When I manually mount,
> > it opens just fine.
> >
> > When I plug in the camera:
> > - the modules are loaded automatically (verified with tail messages,
> etc)
> > - the aforementioned line appears in fstab
> > - /dev/sda1 is created
> > - a link /dev/camera --> /dev/sda1 is created
> > - /media/usbdisk is created
> >
> > However, the camera is not mounted and I have to do so manually :-(
> >
> > When I turn off the camera:
> > - /media/usbdisk disappears, but only after a very long time (in a few
> > instances it didn't disappear and on next boot, when I plugged in the
> > camera again, /media/usbdisk1 was created, in addition to the
> > pre-existing /media/usbdisk from the previous session)
> [...]

Hey, now I am beginning to feel like I just grovelled. Sheesh.

Well, okay, now that you've asked...

I have Fedora 4 with the lastest everything, mostly from extras, but I use
KDE from kde-redhat, not the distro version. All works splendidly! This is
not a huge problem, after all, I can simply manually mount, but I thought...

Since CDs mount when I insert them, why shouldn't my camera do the same? It
would be very practical. I would still have to manually umount, of course.

Yes, I have gphoto2-2.1.6-1.1 installed. I have gthumb installed. I have
digikam installed. Gphoto, if I understand correctly, doesn't like my camera
because it is a usb scsi mass storage device. Digikam, in the more recent
versions, can handle it fine, as a 'directory browse' device.

So, what are you leading up to? "Almost there" does sound good...