question re list

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed Oct 26 03:59:10 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-10-25 at 19:36 -0600, kwhiskers wrote:
> I was wondering about the noauto option. I read the documentation, but
> got the impression this refers to automounting at boot. My situation
> is that this device will never be connected at boot, but only
> connected after the system has already booted up and disconnected well
> before the system ever shuts down. I will try.

Since your message doesn't say anything about how you're using noauto, I
can only give a general reply:

In the /etc/fstab file using a "noauto" option means that it won't be
automatically mounted as the computer boots up.

Without trying out other options, too, you'd need to be root to manually
mount such an entry.  Throwing in "user" will allow a user to mount
something as their own.  Using "users", instead, will allow anybody to
mount and dismount it.  See the mount and fstab man pages.

I read messages from the public lists.