FC4 does not work, "out of the box" for me; GUI/X11 fails

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Wed Oct 26 05:36:36 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 25 October 2005 22:11, Mike Pepe wrote:

[...]

>Editorial note: I personally believe there should be FC4.1 release that
>rolls the fixed X11 packages so that way people can install the thing
>graphically on systems with the broken video drivers.
>
>-Mike

Can I second this?  I triple checked the sums of all my disks and still
failed to install a working system on 2 seperate boxes.  After trying
about 9 or 10 installs on the box I really wanted to update, each failing
either in the reboot many times, or in the x launching a couple times, I
wound up tossing the disks because I wasn't about to install something so
unstable as FC4 on anyones box.  Late model nvidia card, runs on the nv
driver just fine when I installed a debian/morphix based copy of
emc-4.30.

The "get over it" attitude is not becoming, and its driving users
like me away.  And I've been wearing a red hat since 1997.  I'll try FC5
if and when it comes out, but if its the disaster FC4 is, color me gone.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)