problems with new kernels from yum

tlc tlc at artemide.us
Wed Oct 26 12:57:34 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-10-26 at 08:21 -0400, James Pifer wrote:
> I'm running FC4 on an HP Compaq nx9110. I have three different kernels
> installed. 2.6.11-1.1369_FC4smp has always run fine and is what I'm
> running now.
>
> Using yum update on occasion has installed two other kernels:
> 2.6.13-1.1526_FC4smp
> 2.6.13-1.1532_FC4smp
>
> Problem is I can't run ether of these. They won't even boot, or they are
> going so slowly you think it's not doing anything. They both get stuck
> at the Starting udev.... prompt.
>
> The original kernel whips by that point in no time. I had the problem
> with 1526 for a while and figured I'd wait til the next kernel came out.
> This morning 1532 got installed and it has the same problem.
>
> I know I haven't really given much information about this but wondering
> if anyone else has seen this before. Sorry if it's been discussed a
> hundred times already. Did not find much googling.
>
> Thanks,
> James

not sure if this is related, but I am having trouble with all the newer
FC4 kernels as well, and I have seen other posts that might be related.
Is your machine SATA or SCSI? I think they split/changed certain
scsi/sata drivers. From what I have seen an adjustment to modprobe.conf
would fix it ... but not sure I have not found a fix for my situation
either. Let me know what you find.