the proper way to "yum update" a new "everything" install of FC4?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at mindspring.com
Wed Oct 26 14:49:46 UTC 2005

On Wed, 26 Oct 2005, akonstam at trinity.edu wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 26, 2005 at 09:55:18AM -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> >
> >   i just installed a new FC4 system -- an "everything" install -- and
> > it can't be just plain "yum update"d because of some dependency
> > issues.
> >
> >   the errors are that the four kernel packages
> > {gnbd,GFS,cman,dlm}-kernel claim to need
> > /lib/modules/2.6.13-1.1526_FC4.

> I am not sure I know what went wrong but
> /lib/modules/2.6.13-1.1526_FC4
> id part of the kernel-2.6.13-1.1526_FC4 rpm
> and it is true that {gnbd,GFS,cman,dlm}-kernel
> depends on the kernel being installed. Are you saying that this
> happened when you tried to run just a: yum install

the sequence of events was:

1) new "everything" install of FC4
2) activate *only* FC4's "updates-released" repo
3) "yum update"

  i tried to make the update as simple as possible by pulling only
from the regular updates repo.  this sort of thing is, in fact,
something i started to think about recently -- should a new install of
FC *always* be updateable, regardless of how many updates have piled
up in the queue?

  or might there be problems given how much newer some of those
updates might be?  just curious.

rday