FC4 does not work, "out of the box" for me; GUI/X11 fails

Daniel B. Thurman dant at cdkkt.com
Wed Oct 26 16:36:11 UTC 2005

Yes, I understand that we are the apes or monkeys or whatever
that uses knuckles instead of feet to walk :-)  I went to bed
at 4AM (was up at 7am on this project) and discovered that it
may be a no-no to choose 'everything' when choosing the installation
of software because I discovered why I was not able to yum update.

Turns out that installing everything also includes things like
GFP-kernel, gnbd-kernel, cman-1.0 and so forth that as it turns
out that updates fail because there are dependenencies which I
cannot remove or update - specifically the cman-1.0-0.pre33.i386
of which a scriptlet (%preun) refuses to remove cman due to a
"failure". I tried everything I could to remove it - and failed.

It appears that there are too many 'gotchas' in FC4 release. In
FC3 I chosed 'everything' and to my knowledge did not run into
any known problems.  Guess this is not the case with FC4.

So - today - I will format the disk and start over with FC4 and
chose the workstation-defaults installation and select the software
that I want, manually and avoid things like 'cluster' software and
others that caused my update problem.

BTW I was able to run Yum from within the Fedora Rescue steps and
there was a step for setting up Network Parameters before continuing
to the chroot /mnt/sysimage step.  My negative about this mode is that
seem there are no means to interupt a running program once started
such as 'find' or if Yum hangs; you are forced to reboot and get
back to rescue mode again and pick up the slack where you left off.

So far, working with FC4 as it is has been a royal pain in the a**
and I can understand it is not for the faint of heart.

Dan