Replacing old hard disk with a new one

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Wed Oct 26 16:39:40 UTC 2005

Paul Smith wrote:
> Dear All
>
> I have three hard disks in my computer: hda (MS Windows), hdb
> (Mandriva) and hdc (FC4), and I am wanting to replace hda with a new
> and empty hard disk. Grub is my boot loader and it was installed on
> hdc (FC4). Is it likely that I will have problem with booting after I
> do the mentioned hard disk replacement?

Not quite enough information to answer properly. You say that
GRUB was installed on /hdc. Where was it installed? In the
BR or MBR? Also, what does the BIOS see as being the boot device?
What is installed in the MBR of /hda? How does GRUB get loaded?
(Using Windows boot manager?)

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.