the proper way to 'yum update' a new 'everything' install of FC4?

Robert Locke lists at ralii.com
Wed Oct 26 18:57:05 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-10-26 at 14:09 -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Oct 2005, William Hooper wrote:
>

> > Mike McCarty wrote:

> > > It sounds like a request that the repositories be kept internally
> > > consistent, and packaged. I agree that one should be able to update an
> > > everything install right out of the box.
> >
> > I don't think holding a kernel update (for the "wide audience")
> > until the external modules (for the "narrow audience") are ready is
> > a good answer. A better answer would be to just install what you
> > need, that way you don't needlessly get tripped up by "narrow
> > audience" issues.  By choosing an "Everything" install you choose to
> > get tripped up by _every_ packaging issue there is, whether you use
> > those packages or not.
>
> i don't buy that argument.  i suspect many people do an "Everything"
> install simply because:
>
> 1) disk space is cheap, and
>
> 2) they're not sure exactly what they want so they'll just put it all
> in to play it safe.

How is an "Everything" install and "playing it safe" found in the same
sentence?

If we start with the supposition that all software has bugs and that
many bugs can provide exploits, then an "everything" install means that
you have a bunch of "stuff" on your system that you now need to
maintain.  And given that you are probably not using much of that
software there will be gaps in your maintenance....

I would suggest that with the ease of adding software via yum or
up2date, it is no longer appropriate to do "Everything" installs and I
would prefer to see the option removed from anaconda, but that seems
unlikely....

Also, your "yum update" would have worked several days ago prior to the
latest kernel release....  It's all just a timing thing.....

> simply put, the two operations of 1) install everything, and 2) "yum
> update" are common enough that they should just work.  we're not
> talking about obscure, rarely-used actions here.
>
> rday
>
> p.s.  i would think that, based on your position that the external
> modules are for the "narrow audience," it would make more sense to
> remove them from the basic install and make them part of "Extras."  if
> you need them, they'd be easy to find.

So, you are saying that we should put in to "Extras" anything that you
would not normally want installed that might have a later update timing
issue so that you could do an Everything install?  Isn't this rather
circular as an argument?  Why not just put anything that is not part of
a "default package" install in to Extras then and rename the "default
install" the "Everything" install and have only one install type?

My argument is that the "Everything" install needs to die!!  <evil grin>

--Rob