Backup solutions?

Daniel B. Thurman dant at cdkkt.com
Wed Oct 26 19:00:33 UTC 2005

Do you have a backup tape drive on your system?
If so, you can use the dump/restore program to
dump your filesystems to tape.  You can do this
in single use mode to so that you can guarantee
that you have a fixed snapshot and not a roving
one.  This is what I do for native backups.

Note: If you had another "big drive", then you
can create an image backup such as:

dump -0 -f / | (cd mybackupdrive; restore -r -f -)

The "0" above is a full backup.  I have not checked
but it used to be that if a -C option was used, the
dump/restore can be "portable" - but this needs to
be checked.  Most dump/restores are machine specific.

IT Professionals of course use the commerical ones
such as Backup Exec (Veritas) or Cheyene.

The problem with tar or cpio or other similar
programs is that it cannot backup and restore
devices and databases based on raw partitions
but with Linux (Fedora) I am not sure how much
this has changed or if it can actually be done.
Check your mileage and make sure you TEST the
restore before committing yourself on a dead-end.

My $0.02 :-)
Dan