Large Ramdisk creation causes crashes

Brandon Ooi tech at hotornot.com
Wed Oct 26 19:13:56 UTC 2005

Hi Matt,

I read your I believe it to be a ramdisk limitation because making a
larger ramdisk, in the exact same manner, gives me a weird error about
the file system not existing. It's possible that this is a 32bit kernel
problem that you don't see in x86_64. However, I've experimented with
x86_64 version of FC3 and we've had trouble with stability in high load
(random crashes).

Here is an example of the trial.

creating a 512+MB ramdisk fails but the 512MB ramdisk suceeds.

[root at hot52 mnt]# mke2fs -vm0 /dev/ram0 530000
mke2fs 1.37 (21-Mar-2005)
Filesystem label=
OS type: Linux
Block size=4096 (log=2)
Fragment size=4096 (log=2)
66400 inodes, 132500 blocks
0 blocks (0.00%) reserved for the super user
First data block=0
Maximum filesystem blocks=138412032
5 block groups
32768 blocks per group, 32768 fragments per group
13280 inodes per group
Superblock backups stored on blocks:
        32768, 98304

Writing inode tables: done
Writing superblocks and filesystem accounting information: done

This filesystem will be automatically checked every 22 mounts or
180 days, whichever comes first.  Use tune2fs -c or -i to override.
[root at hot52 mnt]# mount /dev/ram0 r0
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/ram0,
       missing codepage or other error
       dmesg | tail  or so

[root at hot52 mnt]# mke2fs -vm0 /dev/ram1 524288
mke2fs 1.37 (21-Mar-2005)
Filesystem label=
OS type: Linux
Block size=1024 (log=0)
Fragment size=1024 (log=0)
131072 inodes, 524288 blocks
0 blocks (0.00%) reserved for the super user
First data block=1
Maximum filesystem blocks=67633152
64 block groups
8192 blocks per group, 8192 fragments per group
2048 inodes per group
Superblock backups stored on blocks:
        8193, 24577, 40961, 57345, 73729, 204801, 221185, 401409

Writing inode tables: done
Writing superblocks and filesystem accounting information: done

This filesystem will be automatically checked every 39 mounts or
180 days, whichever comes first.  Use tune2fs -c or -i to override.
[root at hot52 mnt]# mkdir r1
[root at hot52 mnt]# mount /dev/ram1 r1
[root at hot52 mnt]# df -h
/dev/sda5             4.0G  1.3G  2.8G  31% /
/dev/sda1              99M  8.8M   85M  10% /boot
/dev/shm              1.5G     0  1.5G   0% /dev/shm
/dev/sda6              63G  2.4G   61G   4% /hot
/dev/sda2             4.0G   35M  3.9G   1% /tmp
/dev/ram1             496M  2.3M  494M   1% /mnt/r1

Brandon