the proper way to 'yum update' a new 'everything' install of FC4?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 19:35:07 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-10-26 at 13:46, William Hooper wrote:

> > Nothing I wrote precludes release of a kernel update.
>
> Yes, it does.  You don't want it to go into the updates repo until the
> out-of-tree modules are ready.

What you really need is a way to make the new kernel dependent on
the matching modules that your own machine actually needs.  Or make
yum smart enough not to make a new kernel the default unless the
condition was met.  Kernels are a special case anyone because your
old one is still there and all you have to do is boot it.

--
  Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com