Large Ramdisk creation causes crashes

Brandon Ooi tech at hotornot.com
Wed Oct 26 19:40:09 UTC 2005

Hi Andy,

Sorry that wasn't an exact transcript. I was actually doing...

perl -e 'print 1 x 600000000' > /mnt/r0/file0

which fills the drive and then stops. This seems to work as long as the
total number of 1's I write to ram is less than 40% of total memory I
have (regardless of how large the ramdisks are or how many I create).

I have created 10MB and 100MB ramdisks which seem to work fine. Writing
and rewriting work as expected (and fast!). It's only when I create more
and larger drives do I encounter problems.

Brandon