the proper way to 'yum update' a new 'everything' install of FC4?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 19:59:53 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-10-26 at 14:40, Mike McCarty wrote:
> By "package" I mean a managed release.

You mean something that has internally known dependencies that
must be met during installation and update?

> A package sits
> on top of a release repository, and selects a collection of
> objects from the repository which have been tested as an
> entire whole, and which are guaranteed (via integration test)
> to interoperate as a whole.

We are talking about fedora here.  You are the tester.  It is
guaranteed to interoperate only after you stop reporting that
it is broken.

> The Fedora Core Project does not
> have packages that I have seen. AFAICT, FC leaves configuration
> management entirely up to the user.

No, it is up to yum and the known dependencies. If the dependencies
are wrong, the testers need to report it or it won't be fixed.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com