the proper way to 'yum update' a new 'everything' install of FC4?

Robert Locke lists at ralii.com
Wed Oct 26 20:13:29 UTC 2005

> On Wed, 2005-10-26 at 13:57, Robert Locke wrote:
>
> > My argument is that the "Everything" install needs to die!!  <evil grin>
>
> How do you propose that people should learn which thousand programs
> they might want to use if there isn't a convenient way to get them
> all at once?   And how will fedora get it's bugs fixed if nobody
> installs the stuff and reports them?

Umm, ooops, I mean yum.  yum info will provide information on a
particular package.  But how many RSS readers do I need installed?
There is a lot of redundancy (not within Core, but) between the various
repo's and packages that are offered.  I would rather have installed
that which I use and if that is a package that "replaces" one from Core,
that's fine.  It is convenient these days to install particular software
after the fact to experiment.  Why necessarily install it along with
loads of other stuff during the initial install?

I just hate the idea of needing to "maintain/update" code on a system
that nobody is using, which is my argument against the "Everything"
install.  Also, just because something is being installed doesn't mean
it's being used/debugged so it's not "improving" Fedora per se....

So I still say "Everything" must die!! :-)

--Rob