FC4 does not work, "out of the box" for me; GUI/X11 fails

akonstam at trinity.edu akonstam at trinity.edu
Wed Oct 26 21:34:15 UTC 2005

On Wed, Oct 26, 2005 at 09:36:11AM -0700, Daniel B. Thurman wrote:

> Yes, I understand that we are the apes or monkeys or whatever
> that uses knuckles instead of feet to walk :-)  I went to bed
> at 4AM (was up at 7am on this project) and discovered that it
> may be a no-no to choose 'everything' when choosing the installation
> of software because I discovered why I was not able to yum update.
>
> Turns out that installing everything also includes things like
> GFP-kernel, gnbd-kernel, cman-1.0 and so forth that as it turns
> out that updates fail because there are dependenencies which I
> cannot remove or update - specifically the cman-1.0-0.pre33.i386
> of which a scriptlet (%preun) refuses to remove cman due to a
> "failure". I tried everything I could to remove it - and failed.
>
> It appears that there are too many 'gotchas' in FC4 release. In
> FC3 I chosed 'everything' and to my knowledge did not run into
> any known problems.  Guess this is not the case with FC4.
>
> So - today - I will format the disk and start over with FC4 and
> chose the workstation-defaults installation and select the software
> that I want, manually and avoid things like 'cluster' software and
> others that caused my update problem.
>
> BTW I was able to run Yum from within the Fedora Rescue steps and
> there was a step for setting up Network Parameters before continuing
> to the chroot /mnt/sysimage step.  My negative about this mode is that
> seem there are no means to interupt a running program once started
> such as 'find' or if Yum hangs; you are forced to reboot and get
> back to rescue mode again and pick up the slack where you left off.
>
> So far, working with FC4 as it is has been a royal pain in the a**
> and I can understand it is not for the faint of heart.
>
> Dan
Except I have machines that have been installed with everything and I
can run yum update open them without any problem. I agree that the
GFP-kernel, gnbd-kernel, cman-1.0 are an annoying problem. The thing I
did that you did not was include extras repo in the update system.
You can also use the --exclude clause to not update things you don't
want to update,

In addition yum remove will remove any rpms you want to remove and
their dependencies. I honestly believe that the install everything was
not the real problem but I admit I can't pin down what went wrong for
you.

The first sign of maturity is the discovery that the volume knob also turns to
the left.
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University