Replacing old hard disk with a new one

jdow jdow at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 27 00:29:52 UTC 2005

From: "Paul Smith" <phhs80 at gmail.com>

>> > Now, I am using a Knoppix liveCD, and having some progress:
>> >
>> > $ grub-install --root-directory=/mnt/hdc1/boot/ /dev/hda
>> > /dev/hda does not have any corresponding BIOS drive.
>> > $
>> >
>> > Can we go further?
>>
>> Have you partitioned the drive yet, Paul?
>>
>> {^_^}
>
> No, I have not, Jdow. How can I do that?

"fdisk /dev/hda"

But PLEASE PLEASE read partitioning HOWTOs and documentation first so you
know what you are doing, first.

Of course, you could bring up the same partitioning tool you saw when
installing, DiskDestroyer or something like that, and use it. But you
still want to read the partitioning HOWTOs to get a notion of how you
want to partition the drive.

I realize grub documentation is impenetrable by sane people. But do give
it a try. After doing so I recommend a visit with your local shrink if
you think you understand grub's documentation. {^_-}

{^_^}