scsi mass storage problem - followup

kwhiskers kwhiskers at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 01:21:15 UTC 2005

On 26/10/05, Andrew Couture <relicsrage at gmail.com> wrote:

> All my cameras come up as sdb*. When the cards
> are in a reader...they come up as sdb**.
> It might be hal or messagebus or other things....
> but I have had problems with hal, and it wasn't like
> what you described. Let me know if you get it work.
>

> kwhiskers wrote:
> >

> > On 26/10/05, *Andrew Couture* <relicsrage at gmail.com
> > <mailto:relicsrage at gmail.com>> wrote:
> >
> > OK, do you have gphoto2 installed?
> > If you have gthumbs installed, gphoto2 is installed.
> > I have two digital cameras, one Minolta DV and a Canon G5.
> > Both have worked flawlessly with FC2/3/4.
> >
> > I am using FC4 with newest kernel.
> > Example...i plug in camera, gthumbs opens and asks 'import photos?'
> >
> > Assuming you have FC4 and the newest kernel, 'yum install gthumbs'
> > or apt-get or whatever you poison.
> >
> > Make sure you remove your 'rules' and other changes (put everything
> > back as original) then plug in your camera.
> >
> > If you want,envoke gphoto2 from the CLI, or man gphoto2 for more info.
> > Check out the home page for gphoto2 for more information on your
> > camera (optional).
> >
> > I have not had to play with 'fstab' or create 'local.rules' for udev
> > or screw with any permissions. It works out of the box, first time
> > every time for me. I have FC4 installed on five systems here at home,
> > and it just works on every computer.
> >
> > andy
> >

> > kwhiskers wrote:
> > >

> > > On 25/10/05, *Andrew Couture* <relicsrage at gmail.com
> > <mailto:relicsrage at gmail.com>
> > > <mailto: relicsrage at gmail.com <mailto:relicsrage at gmail.com>>> wrote:
> > >
> > > First off, what version of FC are you using?,
> > >
> > > do you have gphoto or gphoto2 installed?
> > >
> > > do you have gThumb installed?
> > >
> > > You can mount the thing manually, your almost there...

> > automatically
> > > when I
> > scsi
> > > device.

> > /dev/sda1 /media/usbdisk auto pamconsole,exec,noauto,managed
> > > 0 0

> > > SYMLINK="camera"

> > > SYSFS{stat} is
> > > "couldn't open
> > manually
> > > mount,

> > > messages, etc)

> > manually :-(

> > time (in
> > > a few
> > plugged in the
> > preferred to have
> > > fstab, so
> > unless

> > > appreciated
> > > >

> > > --
> > >

> > > You said I'm almost there, but actually, I'm exactly where I
> > started, 3
> > > days ago. I have learned a lot since then, but nothing that makes
> > any
> > > difference to the problem at hand.
> > >

> > --
> >

> > Thanks, I will try this when I get home in 3 hours.
> >
> > I suspect, though, that your cameras are not scsi mass storage cameras,
> [...]

Nope, I didn't get it working like it's supposed to. I took out the udev
rules, like you suggested. Now I'm back to the beginning, before I started
makig changes. I plug in the camera, the modules get loaded, /media/usbdisk
is created, /dev/sda and /dev/sda1 are created... but the camera is not
mounted like it's supposed to be. I have to manually mount it.