problems with new kernels from yum

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Thu Oct 27 03:46:51 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-10-26 at 19:25 -0400, Claude Jones wrote:
> I'm not sure when it changed, but, I clearly remember that when ntp
> would occasionally fail, there would be a message that would say that
> it had, and then the machine would continue to boot.

I'm on dialup, so my network is only ever on the net sometimes, but
rarely ever rebooted.  So I left NTPD on all the time.  Unfortunately, I
notice the following problems:

Trying to boot means a very long delay as NTP waits for ages before
giving up and letting the boot process continue without it.  (Yes, I
think some sort of "start it and leave it in the background" technique
would be a good idea.)

In the past NTP would handle losing the PPP connection.  It'd start
doing its business again when the PPP connection was reconnected,
automatically.  Now, it needs manually restarting.  If I can't resolve
this directly, and get desperate enough, I'll probably end up starting
PPP with an intermediary script that starts PPP then restarts NTP.

I read messages from the public lists.