the proper way to 'yum update' a new 'everything' install of FC4?

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Thu Oct 27 04:33:21 UTC 2005

Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-10-26 at 14:40, Mike McCarty wrote:
>
>>By "package" I mean a managed release.
>

> You mean something that has internally known dependencies that
> must be met during installation and update?

Yes. And which has been through integration test to ensure
that all the parts work together.

FC does not support this concept, as it is a project, and not
a product. There is no configuration management nor packaging
being done, beyond establishing baselines at certain intervals
via release of a named version.

>>A package sits
>>on top of a release repository, and selects a collection of
>>objects from the repository which have been tested as an
>>entire whole, and which are guaranteed (via integration test)
>>to interoperate as a whole.
>

> We are talking about fedora here.  You are the tester.  It is
> guaranteed to interoperate only after you stop reporting that
> it is broken.

Which in no way contradicts anything I have said. I stated that
what one fellow wanted seemed to be a request to have packages.
This is something which really doesn't seem to suit the FC
Project as opposed to Product philosophy.

>>The Fedora Core Project does not
>>have packages that I have seen. AFAICT, FC leaves configuration
>>management entirely up to the user.
>

> No, it is up to yum and the known dependencies. If the dependencies
> are wrong, the testers need to report it or it won't be fixed.

Yes, it is up to the individual to decide the content of any given
install. AFAICS, yum is just a fancy transport and install tool.
Dependencies cannot create packages on their own, because they
are susceptible to global inconsistencies. We have a case in point
which led to this very thread of discussion.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.