scsi mass storage problem - followup

kwhiskers kwhiskers at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 05:47:11 UTC 2005

On 26/10/05, Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 2005-10-26 at 20:14 -0600, kwhiskers wrote:
>
> > well, now I really am confused.
> >
> > I just logged into gnome and the camera gets mounted. back in kde, it
> > doesn't!
> >
> > Any ideas?
> >
> > I have taken out the udev rules file and restored everything to how it
> > was before i started fiddling. gnome automounts the removable media,
> > kde doesn't. Huh? Where do I set this behaviour in KDE?
> ----
> can't help with the question but will offer perspective. Things aren't
> perfect in udev world as you have found out first hand.
>
> Some have reported that KDE isn't well implemented in fedora - I don't
> know, I don't use it. Since GNOME is default, probably a lot of people
> using fedora don't use KDE. The help you get on this list might be more
> generalized or GNOME slanted than KDE savvy.
>
> One would think that KDE's auto mount routines should be good enough -
> in fact, I thought it worked pretty well for CD's. You might want to
> check at kde.org <http://kde.org>
>
> Craig
>

> --
> believed to be clean.
>
> --

I have started a new thread to get this conversation happening on one
thread... and in light of what I have learned, this seems to be a kde
problem, not a linux, fedora or gnome problem.

As for kde, I use it exclusively. I do have gnome installed, just to poke
around once or twice a year to see how it is coming along. It always looks
very primitive and stark and doesn't have the mature look of kde. However,
there are certain gnome programs that are simply better: gaim, gimp, gthumb,
gnome sword, firefox, gftp, all the great gnu programs... to name the
essential ones.

KDE does have a few flaws... but it blows any commercial software and any
other window managers I have tried right out of the water for
configurability and sheer pleasure of use. It's like a work of art by a
great master, and it's right there on your desktop and you can work with it
and personalize it ad infinitum. Just when you think you have gotten it
totally you, absolutely definitive, and then, you find some other idea that
is even nicer. Nevertheless, the kde screensaver wrapper is flawed because
it doesn't let you reach all the configurations for each screensaver, and
hence, some just don't run. As a result, I run xscreensaver-demo from my kde
startup directory and disable screensavers in the kde control panel. And now
this automount problem with removable mass storage media. But then, one can
mount manually. It's just not as elegant as having the system do it
automatically.

As for KDE on Fedora/RedHat... Their distro KDE has all the shimmer of real
KDE and I used it for a number of years, making life livable with the
addition of xmms, xine and a couple of other things to cover up the gaps
from having a lot of things disabled - yes, I understand the copyright
issue, but to remove standard programs from the distribution... That really
is a bigtime nuisance. Then I discovered an excellent project called
kde-redhat on sourceforge. They have the latest and greatest, as soon as it
comes out, all via yum, and it works very well with the fedora extras and
rpmforge repositories.