FC4 does not work, "out of the box" for me; GUI/X11 fails

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Thu Oct 27 09:35:18 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-10-27 at 12:58 +0930, Tim wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-10-26 at 00:25 -0700, Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
> > Seems that whomever released this distro should throw away
> > the iso cds and create a BRAND NEW ONE.  This distro is very
> > very very hosed and buggy.
>
> Why isn't this done by Fedora?  (Not outsiders that we don't know
> whether we can trust.)
----
The answer has been pretty clear on this - the release cycle is so
short, that it doesn't pay to spend the energy rebuilding the current
release because by that time, they are busy doing the builds for the
test releases for the next series.
----

> In the past we had Red Hat Linux 7.0, 7.1, 7.2, 7.3 before we jumped to
> 8.0.  You had a fighting chance of getting an installation working in
> the first go.  Having to do another hour (or more) of updates, straight
> away, is a right pain.  Just as bad as Windows.
----
No - has nothing to do with Windows. It has to do with pushing the
development along. You should read Eric Raymond's 'Cathedral and Bazaar'
for a developers view of fast paced, less than perfect releases as a
method that brings rapid development to Linux / F/OSS.
----

> The whole Fedora approach of rushing out major changes to releases on a
> certain date for the sake of a schedule has proved itself to be a stupid
> idea.  I don't *need* to be rebuilding the entire OS on several PCs that
> often, and I certainly don't want to.  I'm now looking at using
> something else, instead.  One of the BSDs is looking favourable to me.
----
Actually, that's your point of view and certainly noted. You don't have
to be rebuilding several PC's, you can keep them where they are...the
choice is of course always yours.

BSD is worth a shot - you will probably get some valuable knowledge
about how other systems do things. You should probably look at Ubuntu
too. If you want stability and long term maintained, consistent release,
RHEL or the rebuilds like CentOS give you that. Again, you have the
choice - it's your software.

Craig

believed to be clean.