rsync dies, need another approach

Dr. Michael J. Chudobiak mjc at avtechpulse.com
Thu Oct 27 14:00:12 UTC 2005

I'm trying to copy a large filesystem (around 10M inodes) from on FC4
computer to another. I need to preserve the symlinks, to minimize
storage requirements.

The obvious choice is to use rsync -a, but it dies on me (out of memory
I think - I have 256 MB on the source computer, and rsync uses 100 bytes
/ file, so 100b x 10M = 1G). Plan B is to actually move the hard drive
from one computer to the other, and then use cp -al, but I'd rather not
do that, because the computers aren't easily accessible.

Can anyone suggest a way to copy a large directory structure, while
preserving symlinks and keeping memory requirements low?

- Mike