initialise password using useradd

Gary Stainburn gary.stainburn at ringways.co.uk
Thu Oct 27 15:05:12 UTC 2005

On Thursday 27 October 2005 3:24 pm, Kelly Dunlop wrote:
> From reading the manual page exit code 2 is 'invalid command syntax'
> so are you using the -m option as well:
>
> 	The -k option is only valid in conjunction with the -m option.

I wasn't using '-m'. As creating the home dir was the default action I
didn't think I'd need it.

> You shouldn't need to give a directory name because /etc/skel should
> exist as an empty directory for it to use - it does on my FC4 system.

/etc/skel isn't empty, it's got about 4 hidden files and a hidden dir.

> Kelly

useradd -mk /etc/empty_dir  <oitherstuff> <username>

does work. Next, howcome on FC4 '-p userpassword' doesn't set the
password properly and is there a way to fix it other than calling

echo <userpassword>|passwd --stdin <username>
--
Gary Stainburn