Best VPN server to use on Fedora

Michael H. Warfield mhw at wittsend.com
Thu Oct 27 14:51:08 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-10-27 at 07:49 -0400, Leonard Isham wrote:
> On 10/27/05, Rick Lim <ricklim at telus.net> wrote:

	Not to defend Microsoft or anything...

	You're thinking of the old PPTP/L2TP over GRE stuff that Bruce Schneier
and Mudge lambasted years ago on Windows 2000 and earlier.  That was
supported by the PopTop project on Linux.  Windows XP is now using IPSec
NAT-T as the core of their XP VPN and it does interoperate with OpenSWAN
and does NOT have the security problems of the old PPTP.  I think
Windows XP still can support the older PPTP but only for older
installations, and I'm not even totally sure about that.  You are right
with regards to that older stuff...   I wouldn't use PPTP for anything.
But the modern MS VPN stuff is pretty straight forward X.509 certificate
based IPSec over NAT-T 4500/udp.  There's more information on how to do
that over with the OpenSWAN crowd.

> I find the installation of the windows client trivial and you end up
> with a reliable secure solution.

> --
> Leonard Isham, CISSP
> Ostendo non ostento.