best/favorite/easiest to use DVD player..

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Thu Oct 27 15:47:18 UTC 2005

Tim wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-10-27 at 02:19 +0200, Marcel Janssen wrote:
>
>>On the other hand, DVD's are intended to start with a menu so for the
>>majority of people I think xine is more on track regarding DVD
>>playing.
>

> I think this is the worst aspect of DVDs.
>
> When I play a music disc, I want to hear the music.  I put it in and
> press play, it plays the music.
>
> DVD players should work the same way:  Put it in, press play, the movie
> begins.  I've got a menu button on my player *should* I want to do
> something else (like sit through several minutes of animated menus, one
> after another, several copyright warnings in different languages, and
> three film company brag clips, etc).

Customer demands for these features on DVD's is the issue.  I don't
like the DVD's that have all the ad's that cannot be skipped but then
I use the time to get the popcorn and do other things (someone mention
beer :) ) that allow me to just sit and enjoy.  Isn't this what most
people do during the commercials?

--
Robin Laing