FC4 does not work, "out of the box" for me; GUI/X11 fails

David-Paul Niner dpniner at dpniner.net
Thu Oct 27 15:57:12 UTC 2005

Robin Laing wrote:

> Craig White wrote:

>>> Why isn't this done by Fedora?  (Not outsiders that we don't know
>>> whether we can trust.)
>>

>> ----
>> The answer has been pretty clear on this - the release cycle is so
>> short, that it doesn't pay to spend the energy rebuilding the current
>> release because by that time, they are busy doing the builds for the
>> test releases for the next series.
>> ----
>

> Why not automate the packages to be the latest?  Isn't this what
> computers are supposed to be good at?  How hard would it be to make a
> bi-weekly package.  Release the packages as FCx.yymmdd   The ISO's
> would just be created from the current packages.  The date code
> provides users to know the date of the image.

I assume you mean bi-weekly respins and a subsequent set of new isos?
How long would each iso set stay in circulation?  A month?  Two months?
A year?

While I agree that it should be (relatively) easy to design and
implement such a process, managing the resultant "sub-release" sets
could easily become a nightmare.

Just my opinion,
David-Paul Niner

believed to be clean.