automatic mounting of mass storage devices: light shed on the problem in it's true form after experimentation, consultation and study

kwhiskers kwhiskers at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 16:16:38 UTC 2005

Thanks for your help. Yes, on my box it works like that, too. It all
works great! I was simply misunderstanding what automounting is.

When I put in a cd, a new instance of konqueror opens, already showing
me the contents of the directory of the cd, WITHOUT any clicking or
action on my part.

When I plug in removable media, however, this does not happen. This is
why I thought automounting was not occurring. I have to seek out the
removable media icon (on gnome, it will be dynamically created on the
desktop; on kde, it is located a couple of layers down in the sidebar
- I like my desktop clean and uncluttered, but having to click down a
few layers is not the best solution either) and then one has to click
on it to get the media mounted.

After having learned how this system works, I have come to the
conclusion that I DO find it acceptable. It was simply the different
treatment of cds and removable media that confused me.

As for your problem with not getting the second device mounted, have a
look at writing a udev rule. In my erroneous foray into trying to get
'automounting' to work, I learned about the beauty of udev rules. I am
certain this would solve the problem brilliantly.