How to duplicate a disk

LinuxMedia linuxmedia2 at netscape.net
Thu Oct 27 18:00:50 UTC 2005

 > I need to create a exact copy of a RH9 system. This
 > system has the following partitions: /root, /swap,
 > and /.
 >
 > What I would like was to somehow create a "ghost"
 > of the disk, so I could disconnect the original
 > IDE Drive, connect the "ghost" and the system work
 > as normal.
 >
 > If I had a LVM how would it be?
 >
 > Is there some application or way to replicate the
 > disk, create a mirror, ghost, whatever??
 >
 > Thanks in advance!

I know a guy that used to use the "dd" command on a regular basis to
clone hard drives. It will *definatly* do a device to device copy.

I (think) the command looked something like this...
dd if=/dev/CopyFromDevice of=/dev/CopyToDevice.
I tried it once, but it was slow. I Probably needed to set the
"ibs=BYTES" or "obs=BYTES", but I'm not completly sure. I never really
experimented. Take a look at "man dd".

If you try this, let me know how it worked out.

Good luck
Rocco