Question about sendmail...

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Fri Oct 28 03:04:08 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-10-27 at 20:26 -0600, Philip Prindeville wrote:
> I'm running FC3 (updated) on a handful of machines.
>
> I have a single IP address, with a NATing router set to that
> address.  I have a domain, and an MX which points through
> the router at my mail server (or rather, the router is configured
> to port-forward 25, 143, etc to the mail server).
>
> I also have several mail clients on my 192.168.1.x network.
>
> The issues are the following:
>
> * the clients have a smart host (DS) defined as the mail relay,
>    but they canonical its name and then look it up in the DNS,
>    trying to contact it on the external IP address (and not its
>    internal 192.168.1.x address in the /etc/hosts file).  My
>    /etc/nsswitch.conf file is unmodified.
>
> * the clients then try to relay the email with a sender's envelope
>    address as user at host.my-domain, which the relay rejects
>    because "host.my-domain" doesn't resolve in the DNS.
>
> * I should probably have define(`LOCAL_RELAY', `:$S') to
>    handle forwarding everything to the mail server.
>
> I used to know all of this stuff once upon a time...
>
> Am I missing anything?
----
I've never used 'LOCAL_RELAY' so I can't help you there. I typically run
my own DNS servers inside the LAN so that the name resolution is
completely under my control - where mail.mydomain_name.com would resolve
to an internal mail server which handles end delivery (or smart host
delivery).

If you don't want to run your own DNS, it's just simpler to use smart
host pointing directly to the ip address of your mail server directly
instead of a name which loops the connection outside of the trusted LAN.

Craig

believed to be clean.