FC4 does not work, 'out of the box' for me; GUI/X11 fails

Mike Pepe lamune at doki-doki.net
Fri Oct 28 14:03:16 UTC 2005

>>On Thu, 2005-10-27 at 12:03, Robin Laing wrote:

>>Or when a bug in the old installer or
>>kernel gets fixed so a large new set of machines can now
>>have a trouble-free install.

I think that's the crux of this issue.

Not every set of updates requires a rebuild of the installation media.
Certainly for the most part I'd be against rebuilding the media more
than, say, once a month- if at all.

However in this case, support for a large number of video chipsets-
which worked in the past- is broken, leaving many people without a
working GUI install and no X for months. In my opinion, this is "big
enough" to warrant a rebuild of the release.

It's not a nuisance issue, this is an issue that can and probably has
turned a lot of folks away from an otherwise great product.

-Mike