Where is FC4.1?

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Fri Oct 28 13:10:04 UTC 2005

On Friday 28 October 2005 06:39, Andy Green wrote:
>> And I've installed the rpm "BitTorrent-4.0.1-1.noarch.rpm" but there
>> doesn't seem to be
>> much in the way of documentation on howto start the tracker, or howto
>> start a download.
>> In fact, everything that I've been able to make run seems to be
server
>> related, even the
>> btdownloadgui.py window has no place to enter a url as the starting
>> src.
>>
>> So I'm not much farther ahead than I was 2 hours ago.

Actually, before I went to bed, I'd nuked that version of bt and
installed the new trackerless version. 4.1.6-1 from the rpm.

Then this morning I fired up the iptables rules and using the
"/usr/bin/bittorrent-console ./FC4.1-etc.torrent" command, I was
pleasantly surprised by a non error return, and shortly the download
started.  This is a first for me.  No gui though, all outputs are to
the console I started it in.

Thank you very much for the url that not only made it work, it made it
work straight to a machine inside my firewall.

Now, that firewall has always been tight enough that I've never felt
the need to run anything like iptables or portsentry on this box, I've
had 3 attacks get far enough into the system to be logged on the
firewall box as they were being dropped in 3 years, with the last one
being over a year ago.  One real attack, and 2 passes at an attack by
an infected verizon dns server I'm supposed to be using.  I sent vz a
nastygram each time, & my dns went down the next day for a few hours as
they re-imaged the boxes.

How insecure does this leave me now?

--
Cheers, Gene