Why Fedora ?

gf durin durin at ien.it
Fri Oct 28 15:38:04 UTC 2005

> Why use Fedora? I like it. 3 year support cycle sounds attractive -
> but to be honest, Linux software is moving at a rate the updating
> every year or so is highly recommended - at least for the desktop.
> The new stuff introduced is just worth it, and upgrading is generally
> pretty painless (especially if /home is a separate partition).

Hmmm, I take this occasion to tell you my experience. Not sure about
painless...
Listen, I decided to move from FC3 to FC4 with my PC at home. Nothing
important there (not yet) so I simply put the 4 CDs, and chose the
'upgrade' choice.

Everything seemed to be ok. It copied what it needed, made a  reboot,
but when the system started I had no signs of the FC4 kernel. There were
some signatures of FC4, but I realized it simply updgraded some rpms,
but not the system. A mixture of FC3 and FC4, but... with a lot of
errors, and so on. I had to time to fight with it, so I turned to the
CDs and meake a fresh Fc4 installation

I feel quite disappointed by this experience. Maybe I did not understand
the meaning of 'update', but this is not what I expected.

I think that the way to make linux (more) popular is to be robust
against upgrade. I received a message yesterday of the type 'upgrade: no
thanks!'

I am sure I still need to discovery something about this stuff, in any
case I appreciate your suggestions of this matter

Regards

Gianfranco
--
Istituto Elettrotecnico Nazionale Galileo Ferraris
Strada delle Cacce, 91 - 10135 Torino Italy

Please do not send me Word or Powerpoint attachments, thanks!
See: http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html