Why Fedora ?

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Fri Oct 28 15:52:14 UTC 2005

gaurav wrote:

> Hi List ,
> ~             Sometimes I think I am wasting  my time on fedora .

I think you don't understand what Fedora Core is.

> I got ubuntu on onmy laptop works flawlessly with 3 year support cycle
> , 16,000 pakages (mutiunivese repo) and of course apt , sysnaptic ,
> adept and  rock solid :-) plus cutting pakages and six month release
> schedule and with no strings attached

Ubuntu is a product. Fedora Core is a project. There's a difference.

?

> are we wasting time On fedora ?? Should we move 100% comunity based
> project like ubuntu ?

I suggest you go read the website and find out what Fedora actually
is, and why it exists. It is not intended to be a platform which you
can get without paying a fee. Debian, Ubuntu, some versions of SuSe,
CentOS, Scientific Linux, Slackware, etc are. But Fedora definitely
is not.

By using/contributing to Fedora, you build the future of RHEL. If
you aren't interested in that, if you're just a freeloader (like
me) then "you pays your money, and you takes what you gets".

I loaded Fedora onto my machine because I had a contract, and the
company I contracted for asked me to. If I were just going to run
Linux on my machine, and not "fiddle" with it, I'd probably use
either CentOS or Scientific Linux. I don't think Fedora Core
was the right choice for the project I did for the company.

Fedora is worthwhile. It just isn't what you seem to think it is.

YMMV

> pl ppl let me know your views :-)
>
> Regards,
> Gaurav