Why Fedora ?

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Fri Oct 28 15:57:24 UTC 2005

Rudolf Kastl wrote:
> from a developers point of view it doesent matter much what you use...

 From a developer? Of Linux? Or of Linux software?

I disagree with this statement entirely. Fedora Core is not a
stable release. For that reason, IMO, it is unsuitable for
doing stable software development. OTOH, if one is designing
commercial software, and wants a test machine or two set up
the way one projects the world will be when the software is
ready for release, then one probably needs to have something
like Fedora core on those test machines.

> if you identify and report/fix bugs _upstream_ you are fixing the
> stuff for all distros...

For all *RHEL* distros.

> theres no such thing as "distro wars" with experienced linux users and
> real open source developers. you seem to be rather new to the world of
> linux.

Oh yes there are "distro wars". I just don't participate in 'em.

> also for me personally fc4 is too stable and thus pretty boring for
> someone who likes to be a bit more active with the linux community. ;)
> i am personally helping testing rawhide because i like to have a bit
> more challange and i love helping to make future versions better.

Please don't top post.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.