Why Fedora ?

David-Paul Niner dpniner at dpniner.net
Fri Oct 28 16:21:02 UTC 2005

gf durin wrote:

>> Why use Fedora? I like it. 3 year support cycle sounds attractive -
>> but to be honest, Linux software is moving at a rate the updating
>> every year or so is highly recommended - at least for the desktop.
>> The new stuff introduced is just worth it, and upgrading is generally
>> pretty painless (especially if /home is a separate partition).
>>

> Hmmm, I take this occasion to tell you my experience. Not sure about
> painless...
> Listen, I decided to move from FC3 to FC4 with my PC at home. Nothing
> important there (not yet) so I simply put the 4 CDs, and chose the
> 'upgrade' choice.
>
> Everything seemed to be ok. It copied what it needed, made a  reboot,
> but when the system started I had no signs of the FC4 kernel. There
> were some signatures of FC4, but I realized it simply updgraded some
> rpms, but not the system. A mixture of FC3 and FC4, but... with a lot
> of errors, and so on. I had to time to fight with it, so I turned to
> the CDs and meake a fresh Fc4 installation
>
> I feel quite disappointed by this experience. Maybe I did not
> understand the meaning of 'update', but this is not what I expected.
>
> I think that the way to make linux (more) popular is to be robust
> against upgrade. I received a message yesterday of the type 'upgrade:
> no thanks!'
>
> I am sure I still need to discovery something about this stuff, in any
> case I appreciate your suggestions of this matter
>
> Regards
>
> Gianfranco

Sorry to hear that.

As a rule of thumb I always avoid upgrading operating systems.   Having
had to administer several boxen upgraded from one version of Windows
server to another, I know first-hand that the possibilities for disaster
are enormous.    Fortunatly, in the Linux world, upgrading (for me
anyway), has always been a matter of nfs mounting a remote /home
directory.   Obviously, the same could be achieved with a local drive
(and doing thorough backups!).

You may want to give it a try sometime.

Later,
David-Paul Niner