FC4 does not work, 'out of the box' for me; GUI/X11 fails

William Hooper whooperhsd3 at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 28 19:00:49 UTC 2005

Robin Laing wrote:
[snip]
> [...]
[snip]
>>> The install environment wouldn't change.
[snip]
>> If the install environment won't change, then you can't use an updated
>> kernel or X during the install, let alone an updated version of
>> Anaconda.
[snip]
> My knowledge of anaconda is about zero.  I assumed when I responded
> that anaconda would look at package x and install it if selected.  Now if
> that isn't the case then my answer is wrong.
[snip]

Anaconda is just a program that needs an environment to run on.  The
version of the kernel used on the install disks determines what hardware
is supported.  Any bugs causing issues booting the install disk will most
likely need an updated kernel _for anaconda to run on_ to fix it.

X is needed for a graphical install.  If there is an issue with the
graphics support during the install, then an updated X is needed _for
anacanda to run on_ to fix it.

--
William Hooper