Fedora 4 maxtor 160Gb 30 gb missing;

Neil Cherry ncherry at comcast.net
Fri Oct 28 19:00:38 UTC 2005

Mirco Scaramucci wrote:
> hello guys,
> I just purchased a brand new maxtor 160Gb harddrive where I installed
> fedora core 4 and the drive was fully recognized by anaconda during
> installation as a 160Gb.
> Installation went all ok but when I first logged in to my account and
> checked the available space on disk i noticed that strangely the space
> available was only 135Gb meaning that approx 30Gb were not counted in.
> I then upgraded to kernel 2.6.13.1-1532.FC4 hoping to regain the missing
> space but still no sign of it.
> I therefore installed QTPArted and checked what the situation was and
> funny enough the LVM on qtparted is recognized as 160Gb.
> I also have a 40Gb external HD connected via USB which is fully
> recognized.
>
> What has happened to the remaining 30GB on the MAxtor HD?

Other have suggested that there may be a problem with disk
controllers or disks but there might be another explanation.

First go to sh and type mount (mine looks like this):

/dev/hda2 on / type ext3 (rw,noatime)
none on /dev type devfs (rw)
none on /proc type proc (rw)
none on /sys type sysfs (rw)
none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw)
none on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
none on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)
/dev/hda1 on /boot type ext2 (rw,noatime)

I'm using /dev/hda. Next type fdisk -l /dev/hda (mine looks like
this):

Disk /dev/hda: 2113 MB, 2113929216 bytes
16 heads, 63 sectors/track, 4096 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 1008 * 512 = 516096 bytes

/dev/hda1   *           1          65       32728+  83  Linux
/dev/hda2              66       57545    28969920   83  Linux
/dev/hda3           57546       59560     1015560   82  Linux swap

I have about 32M for a /boot partition (not currently mounted),
28G for / (root) and ~1G for swap. The total is less than 30G
for my 30G drive.

You might be having problems but it also might be that the drive
is partitioned weird. Hope one of these suggestions help.

Linux Home Automation         Neil Cherry       ncherry at comcast.net
http://home.comcast.net/~ncherry/               (Text only)
http://hcs.sourceforge.net/                     (HCS II)