Fedora 4 maxtor 160Gb 30 gb missing;

Peter Smith peter.smith at utsouthwestern.edu
Fri Oct 28 19:09:35 UTC 2005

Robin Laing wrote:

> Les Mikesell wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 2005-10-28 at 13:12, Mirco Scaramucci wrote:
>>
>>> hello guys,
>>> I just purchased a brand new maxtor 160Gb harddrive where I installed
>>> fedora core 4 and the drive was fully recognized by anaconda during
>>> installation as a 160Gb.
>>> Installation went all ok but when I first logged in to my account and
>>> checked the available space on disk i noticed that strangely the space
>>> available was only 135Gb meaning that approx 30Gb were not counted in.
>>> I then upgraded to kernel 2.6.13.1-1532.FC4 hoping to regain the
>>> missing
>>> space but still no sign of it.
>>> I therefore installed QTPArted and checked what the situation was and
>>> funny enough the LVM on qtparted is recognized as 160Gb.
>>> I also have a 40Gb external HD connected via USB which is fully
>>> recognized.
>>>
>>> What has happened to the remaining 30GB on the MAxtor HD?
>>

>> Most is probably the classic disk vendor kybye = 1000 bytes vs. everyone
>> else using 1024: http://personal-computer-tutor.com/abc3/v30/vic30.htm
>> and the rest is formatting overhead for the free space table and inodes.
>> And by the way, 160-135 isn't quite 30.
>>

> And the default root reserve.

Exactly. Do a "man mke2fs" and search for "reserved-blocks-percentage".

"-m reserved-blocks-percentage
Specify the percentage of the filesystem blocks reserved for the
super-user. This avoids fragmentation, and allows root-owned
daemons, such as syslogd(8), to continue to function correctly
after non-privileged processes are prevented from writing to the
filesystem. The default percentage is 5%."

Peter